Thursday 16 February 2012

Homemade Car Seat Blanket

I am a seriously lucky girl.  A couple of weeks ago the BigD bought me a sewing machine.  I have been lusting after a sewing machine for so long but could never justify it as I had never really used one more than once or twice before.  We were browsing a department store in town to see what to look for in a 2nd hand model.  We came across a really good deal in the sales and it was too good to pass up when we took into consideration guarantees/warranties etc...

If you have read any of my previous posts you will know that we have been blessed with a gorgeous new addition to the D household.  Given that he was born in the middle of winter (D1 &D2 were spring/summer babies) I found we needed to invest in a coat or carseat blanket.  When it comes to driving I, personally, hate to be all tied up in a coat/seatbelt combination and I am really aware that the children are probably just as un comfortable all strapped in with their winter coats etc. especially on long journeys.  With this in mind I went for the carseat blanket option but couldn't find the product I had in my head anywhere in the shops.  I asked around and a friend suggested I made my own, so after a bit of googling I came across this tutorial.  

I purchased my fabric from eBay, I went for two coordinating fleece fabrics.  Initially, before I was gifted the sewing machine, I was going to try and create a non sew version.  

Armed with my fabric, this step by step guide and my shiny new toy here's what I came up with!



I really wasn't confident edging a whole blanket so I decided to machine stitch the whole thing together with the right sides facing inwards and left a small gap to turn it the right way round after.  Also as I already had my car seat I was able to adjust the spaces for the carseat straps rather than go for the generic option as shown in the tutorial but still allowing room for the straps to be adjusted.

I must say I am so proud of my efforts for a first sewing project and it totally eliminates the need for a winter coat, making the school run and other outings so much easier.  I can just pop a sleeping baby into his carseat without pulling him around and waking him up trying to get a coat on.  All that's needed is a hat.

4 comments:

  1. Clever girl!!  You could start a home business - when the kids are older and you have time on your hands lol!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! I'm sure you are delighted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! my friend is expecting v soon Im ay make her one as present! thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I love it. Well done you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...