Tuesday 3 April 2012

Potty Training

D2 has been "ready" for potty training for a few months now, since she was 18 months to be precise, but with a new baby due we decided the time just wasn't right.  

It all started with nappy rash.  We kept the nappy off one evening after her bath in order to get some air to her bottom and settled down to read some books.  We took the opportunity to introduce the potty and had her sit on it whilst we read - I didn't think for a minute it would get used and if I am totally honest I just didn't want to be cleaning up pee off the sofa.  

Minutes into our book she jumps up in fright following a fluke wee wee.  We seized the moment and laid the praise on super thick, I even gave her a chocolate button.  The following evening we did the same and we were presented with another wee wee, again we went OTT  on the praise and gave her another chocolate button.  Later that same evening she tells me she has done another wee and this time asks for chocolate!  Coincidence surely?  No.  Not all.  The scenario was repeated every time we took the nappy off.  

D1 was nowhere near ready to toilet train until she was 2 and a half so I couldn't really get my head round it with D2 being so young and wasn't quite sure what to do.  I spoke to all kinds of people and sought advice from the nursery nurse/ leader at the breastfeeding support group (booby club) we attend.  Eventually we decided to wait until after the baby was born as, apparently, it is not uncommon for children to slip backwards when a new baby arrives.

Well...  D2 is now 23 months and baby D3 has been with us now for 10 weeks so we are all, well and truly, settled into our new routines.  The bigD has 6 days off over Easter so we had decided that we would give potty training that final push then.  Last SUNDAY, however, we were having a lazy day and no one got properly dressed all day, it wasn't until 3 o'clock in the afternoon when D2 came up the stairs shouting she had done a number 2 that I realised we still hadn't put her nappy on.  My first thought was "oh s h one t" (no pun intended) I really couldn't  be doing with having to deal with a nice pile of poo on the carpet.   I get down the stairs only to find it nicely contained in the potty and it, only then, dawns on me that she has gone the whole day without a nappy on, AND without leaving me any little presents.

On MONDAY we decided that after her achievement the day before  it would be unfair to put the nappy back on during the day so out came the big girls knickers and by 10 o'clock we had had 3 accidents.  I was starting to regret making the commitment.   

TUESDAY wasn't much better.  Everything was going wrong when we put pants on.

WEDNESDAY was booby club and we had been doing brilliantly all morning until she decided to pee all over a friend's soft structured sling ( If you are reading I am so sorry).  That evening I did some research and came across this article, I am not too sure I agree with the 3 day thing but basically they advise no underwear for 3 months (hopefully it won't take anywhere near that long) and it seemed to fit with it all going wrong when she is wearing knickers.

THURSDAY we headed off to meet friends at a local play centre.  We went with a bare bottom and I was armed with kitchen roll, a small hand towel, flash wipes, nappy sacks and, of course, the potty.  She did 3 on target (the potty) and 1 at the entrance to the ball pool!  It was a good job I had gone prepared.  Not that prepared - I had forgotten a change of clothes (Any excuse for a new dress from the shop up the street).

FRIDAY was accident free except for the puddle left in D3's bouncy chair.

SATURDAY onwards has been accident (and knicker) free.  We have used pull up pants for bed and nap times and she has been dry for most nights, even waking to use the toilet.  It is clear that the knickers, tights or trousers were giving her a false sense of security and I think we will try to introduce knickers again at the end of the easter holidays and see how we get on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...