Tuesday 15 November 2011

Sweet Chilli Sauce

I went to the cupboard earlier for some chilli sauce to serve with my home-made wedges and was horrified to find it all gone. You can't have wedges without chilli sauce. You just can't. I did though!  So I thought I'd share my recipe with you.

I once had this recipe scrawled on a scrap of paper. I have no idea where the scrap of paper is any more and haven't seen it for the past 12 or so months. I have made it so often and given it as gifts many times that I know it by heart - although I feel sure it has changed from the original.

Enjoy!

Basic Ingredients:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup vinegar (Rice vinegar is best but I use the seriously cheap malt you can buy from most most supermarkets - Think value range, this is the credit crunch after all)
  • 1 bulb garlic (Peeled. About 8-10 cloves)
  • Red Chillies (De-seeded. About 4)
  • 2 tbsp Fish Sauce (Or light soy sauce if you prefer)
  • Paprika (This is just for colour so entirely optional)
Method
  1. Add the sugar, vinegar, paprika and half the water to a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
  2. In the meantime add the garlic, red chillies and water to a small bowl and blitz with a hand blender, once smooth add to the sugar vinegar mix.
  3. Once mixture has come to the boil turn the heat down to a vigorous simmer until mixture has reduced by at leastr a quater. Stiring occasionally
  4. When mixture has reduced stir in the fish sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes
  5. Allow to cool, bottle up and enjoy.
Variations
  • Substitute some of the vinegar for juice of a couple of limes. Throw in the grated zest too.
  • Add a 2-4cm of ginger to step 2.
  • Keep the chilli seeds in if you like it really hot!
  • Add some thickly diced red peppers to the mix then blitz the whole lot together at the end.
  • Add a tsp of cornflour mixed with a little water for a slightly thicker sauce.
  • 1tsp Salt.
The basic rule is equal quantities of sugar to liquid. Variations on the water vinegar ratio work well too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...